Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A little taste of Tlemcen.....

Sorry it took so long to get back with you guys. But, I have been busy getting ready for Ramadan and putting the house back together after having so many guests. I wanted to post a couple of traditional recipes from my husbands home city of Tlemcen. Tlemcen is a beautiful city full of tradition and well known for its hospitality. As well as its Islamic and French history. I had the opportunity to dress my daughter in the traditional brides dress this summer. It brought back so many memories of my own marriage and for the first time wearing so much gold in my entire life. Big deal for a " country girl like me" Not to mention my initation into the Algerian culture. I'm fond of these dishes because they are so easy to make. I cook mine in a pressure cooker but you can easily cook them in a slow cooker or even a simple covered pan. You would just need to adjust your liquid. Also, you can make these in the morning and put in the fridge and then warm them later. I would also like to add for you health conscious people out there that the oil in these recipes are a must or it will just taste funny. Good luck and enjoy!! "Chicken with Chickpea's and French Fries"
  • 1 chicken cut up
  • 1 onion grated
  • 1 tomato grated+1 tsp. tomato concentrate
  • 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup soaked chic peas
  • salt, pepper, red pepper, saffron
Place oil in bottom of cooker add onion and chicken. Brown chicken and cook onion until sweats. Place water, grated tomato + paste, spices and chic peas. Cover and cook until chicken is done and then reduce your sauce. Place in a platter of your choice and serve with french fries around the side. If you are serving many guests and require sauce for a large crowd you can always reduce your liquid by half and add a tablespoon of cornstarch. You will need to adjust your spices but always remember your sauce should not be higher than the sides of the chicken. This dish is called in Tlemcen " Poulet bel Frite" " Meatballs with Chickpea's and French Fries"
  • 1 kilo ground beef
  • 1/2 cup of soaked chickpeas
  • 2 onions grated
  • 1 tomato grated+1tsp. tomato concentrate
  • 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • salt, pepper, red pepper, saffron and cumin
Place oil and cooked grated onion until it sweats. Add water, grated tomato + paste, and chickpeas. In a separate bowl put your ground beef, 1 grated onion and spices except for saffron. Mix together and roll into little meatballs and drop in the boiling water. Don't forget to add the same spices to the pan also. Also would like to add that the saffron is for coloring only. Cover and cook and reduce like the first recipe. You can also add a twist and place button mushrooms to add a total different flavor to the dish. Serve with french fries around the side. This dish is called in Tlemcen "Kufta mara bel Frite"

4 comments:

HereendAfter said...

This dish is something my hubby would love, but I would have 'an issue' with it, namely that there is no veggies. Do you normally serve it with sth on the side like a salad or sletha or may be something else.. or not? Funny thing, I once invitied an Algerian girl for lunch at my place, she ate the main course and left the salad. When I asked her why she didn't eat the salad, she said: We Algerians are more after the 'food' not the salad. Lol Is that true???

Ines said...

salaams lynda. at long last you've got a blog...you always sounded like the blog type lol
Love it sis. Keep it up :)

Crazy Texan said...

I serve salads on the side but its true really..Algerians are all about the meat and sauce. French Fries are the veggie....lol I wlll be making some sauce dishes in ramadan which are with veggies....just keep checking back with me this Ramadan....I'll be having all kinds dishes you might enjoy making :) happy ramadan to all and Thx Ines for encouragement xoxoxoxox

://: Heni ://: said...

Yousira looks so cute but grown LOL!My husband would like these,going to try them this ramadan! hugs sis!