Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ramadan - day 1- My quest begins.......

First, I would like to wish all a very blessed Ramadan and May God protect and keep you safe. I was busy since I opened my eyes this morning. Having little ones who don't fast I had to do our typical routine and get them situated before I could begin to start cooking for later. I admit ladies the first day of fasting always seems to get the best of me. The heat is out of the roof this year and I had to look deep into myself for inspiration and not to let temptation get the best of me. But, I managed to get a flow going and before I knew it "magrib" had arrived. I didn't make a dessert today since hubby was a sweetie and brought home some lovely cakes and things. I knew just how much he loved and thought about me being in the kitchen. Sometimes the simplest things are what matters most. Overall, the day was successful and I managed to send everyone with a smile and full tummy on the first day of this blessed month. Until tomorrow and may your cooking inspiration flow..... "Harira from Tlemcen"
  • 3 medium tomatoes
  • 1 potato
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 bunch of fresh coriander
  • 1 bunch of fresh mint
  • 1 stick of celery or leaves
  • 1 tsp. tomato concentrate
  • 1 1/2 liter of water
  • chicken stock or cubes ( up to you)
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup vermicelli
  • salt, pepper, carvi
In a pan add your water, vegetables, spices, and fresh herbs. Do not cut them up but simply tie them with a string so you can take them out later. After your veggies have cooked, you want to blitz everything to make it consistent. I put my flour in with the veggies then blitz so i don't get lumps in the soup. Then add heat and allow the soup to thicken..you don't want it to thick or to thin..after you get the desired consistency add the vermicelli and some fresh mint and coriander. When soups reaches a boil again turn it off and cover until time to serve....serve 4 to * You can add beef, lamb or chicken to this recipe..just omit broth and cook with veggies* "Bourek with ground beef and cheese"
  • 1 pkg of dioul
  • 1/2 kilo ground beef
  • 1 onion grated
  • 2 eggs
  • salt, pepper, and cheese of choice
Place ground beef in a saucepan and add onion, spices. Cover just barely with water and let cook until water has evaporated. Add eggs and cook then set aside until it cools. Then place 1 tbsp in dioul with cheese, roll into cigar shape and rub with butter. Bake on a buttered cookie sheet in the oven till golden brown....makes 16 to 18 My version of " Moroccan Bastela"
  • 1 whole chicken cut up
  • 1/2 kilo ground beef
  • 1 onion
  • 1 bunch of coriander
  • 1 bunch of parsley
  • salt, pepper and 1 pkg. dioul
  • 2 cups grated cheese of choice
  • 5 eggs
In a pressure cooker or Pan of choice. Add water, chicken, ground beef, chopped onion, chopped herbs and spices. Cook until done and reduce the sauce until its almost totally evaporated. take out the chicken and remove from the bones and shred into small pieces. place with the beef and add the eggs and cook until done. Then take out a round baking dish, butter,and place dioul on bottom....then around the sides place filling add cheese then tuck and close. Butter and bake in oven....serves 4 to 6 * here is the Moroccan version with recipe and how to form bastela on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Deq-xU3_I " "Gram's Easy Smeezy Potato Salad"
  • 3 to 4 medium potatoes cut into cubes and boiled
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp. mustard
  • chopped green pepper
  • 2 boiled eggs
  • chopped celery and grated carrot ( optional)
  • pepper
Mix and ingredients in a bowl and chill in the fridge....serve 4 to 6

2 comments:

://: Heni ://: said...

Machallah nice spread sis! We are coming over, i am tired of cooking already LOL!

Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum Lynda your doing very well mashaAllah i am so happy for you that you retained that insperation mashaAllah the cooking is fab , i adore pastilla and your version looks great and i will try your potato salad soon inshaAllah!