Monday, August 31, 2009

Ramadan Day 10 - Remembering the children

I thought I was going to be able to post everyday this Ramadan but with my hubby taking over the computer and my endless house duties.....ahhhhhh! Ramadan is not just about cooking but also a spiritual cleansing. I have been doing some deep cleaning for my soul and asking God to make me better and to help overcome my many faults...which are quite a few! I was in the kitchen and couldn't help but reflect on a earlier time in my life. When I didn't have a place to stay and the nearest bridge was my home. Until a kind Muslim family opened me their hearts and door to there home. It was Ramadan 1995 and I was homeless, working 3 jobs and trying my best to save up to fix my car and get back on my feet.You wouldn't have known it looking at me. From the outside I was fine and most people didn't even have a clue of what I was going through. I would break the fast at the town mosque, chat with friends, and head off on my feet. Until, one family suspected my suffering and followed me from a distance. Thanks to there kindness I was able to get back on my feet. Since then I always try to do good deeds when I can. There is a orphanage here in the place where I live and I decided to take some food and treats to them to break the fast with. You should have seen the look on there faces when I showed up with all that food. It was worth all the hard work to put it together. May God bless and have mercy on those in need this Ramadan! "Gram's Chili"
  • 1 kilo ground beef
  • 2 cans of kidney beans
  • 1/2 can tomato concentrate
  • 2 cloves garlice
  • 1 onion diced
  • salt, pepper, red pepper
In a pot, brown ground beef , onions, garlic, and spices. Add water and tomato paste. Cook until done. I omitted the pork sausage from this recipe but you can top with grated cheese and serve with rice on the side. This also tastes good the next day when all the spices have had a chance to infuse in the sauce. serves 4 to 6 The kids went wild when they ate this easy American classic.................. " Snickerdoodle Bars "
  • 1 kilo peanuts ( roasted and cooled )
  • 1 pkg confectioners sugar
  • 2 tablets of chocolate
  • 1 pkg. cookies of choice
  • 2 tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 tbsp. milk
In a food processor add the roasted peanuts. Slowly add some vegetable oil until you get about the consistency of chunky peanut butter. Occasionally scraping the sides until you get the desired consistency. Place in bowl and add the sugar until you get a soft dough. Then crush the cookies and add the melted butter and place in the bottom of a rectangular pan. Then pat in the peanut dough and cover with melted chocolate and top off with some more chopped peanuts. Place in the fridge and cut into bars when ready to serve. Makes about 25 bars * You can add a twist to this recipe and also place a layer of jelly . Assemble as such....crumbs, dough, jelly, then more dough and topping * I also made this Ramadan classic................. "Classic Rice Pudding "
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup raosted slivered almonds
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla
Place all the ingredients in a heavy saucepan and cook until thick. Place in cups and cool in fridge until ready to serve. Makes 6 cups

2 comments:

://: Heni ://: said...

You changed your blog again LOL! I hope the posting box works now sis! I made your chilli the other day, I loved it but unfortunately dh complained why it had beans in during Ramadan, ironic since all DZ dishes have chickpeas in them and ye um those are beans too!
Snickerdoodles bars? I am going to try these, just get out of the house to do some shopping you know how I have been lately! These sound like something I like; easy and gooood!

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.