Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ramadan Day 2 - 3

I'm sorry I haven't posted last couple days but I have been bombarded with company and just couldn't get the chance to sit down a post. Ramadan is all about family and I seem to get loads every year with my reputation for good cooking. I really don't mind at all and it makes for more fun in the evening time when the men decide to get out there violins and entertain us. Makes dish washing so much more fun and seems to go faster. Sometimes I wish secretly they could play me some Texan fiddle and I get my 2-step going on but so much for wishful thinkin..:p I always get requests from my guests for this soup. They always pass up there classic harira and beg me for this lentil classic. I learned this from a lovely Egyptian lady when I first converted to Islam. "Madame Eiadi's Lentil soup"
  • 3 cups of lentils ( soaked for 2 hours)
  • 2 onions
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tomatoes + 1 tbsp. tomato concentrate
  • 1 bunch chopped coriander
  • salt, pepper, cumin,
  • 1/2 chicken cut up
In a pan add water, chicken, lentils, 1 onion, tomatoes and spices. Cook until lentils and chicken are tender. remove chicken and de-bone. In a small pan cut onion in thin slices and fry in olive oil with garlic until its slightly burnt. Add to lentil soup and blitz. Add chicken pieces and chopped coriander. Serves 4 to 6 plp My guests also requested this Texan favorite and American classic. I had planned to make a chicken fillet but I got a sudden response of FINGERS! FINGERS! WE WANT FINGERS! "Grams Chicken Fingers"
  • 1 kilo of chicken breasts or turkey breast
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups of milk
  • flour
  • salt, pepper and red pepper
Cut breasts into long thin pieces and set aside. In a separate bowl add milk and eggs and whisk until well mixed. place flour and add spices in another bowl. Then take pieces - dip in milk mixture then flour - repeat this twice. Then fry until golden brown and place on paper towel. Here also is a wonderful white gravy sauce to go with these fingers "Grams White Gravy "
  • 3 cups of milk
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • salt and pepper
In a saucepan add oil and flour. Cook over heat until four is mixed well. Be careful not to brown the flour or you'll get a brown sauce. Then slowly add milk until you get a smooth gravy. Add spices. For dessert I went Syrian all the way. I just love the look on my guests faces when I say this is made out of cheese. I've made quite a reputation for myself with this dessert. " Syrian Knafa "
  • 1 pkg of katif
  • 1/2 pkg margarine
  • 150 grams of Berber soft cheese
  • 100 grams grated mozzarella
  • 1 eggs
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • ground roasted almonds
In a round baking dish place half the pack of katif and 1/2 the butter (melted) rub gently into the dough and cook in the oven until golden brown. Repeat this for the top layer as well. In a robot, add the soft cheese. sugar and egg. Mix well. then add grated mozzarella and place on one layer of the dough. Cover the cheese mixture with top layer of katif and bake in the oven until cheese is melted. Then pour sugar syrup and let sit until ready to serve. For easy sugar syrup...1 1/2 cups sugar to 1 cup of water. few drops of lemon and orange water. Cook until coats back of spoon.

3 comments:

://: Heni ://: said...

Saha saim sis!

We love lentil soup ... after Ramadan I will try out your recipe when it's colder. And I think I will make chicken finger soons!

Sending you a Love your blog award! Pick it up from my blog!

All my love and kisses, saha ramadankoum! Henia

Emma said...

Just wanted to say thank you so much for the lentil soup recipe, masha'Allah it is fantastic! loved by all, will be making it again and again.

Crazy Texan said...

I'm so glad this was a success for you....xx