Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ramadan Day 12 - Love them Apples!!!


The days are passing by so fast and our appetites getting smaller. Amazing how our stomachs shrink so quickly. I have to admit what a madhouse Algiers is at Ramadan time. I think it's worse than Christmas shopping season..lol I managed to get through the market today and saw some wonderful apples. A light bulb clicked and I instantly thought " Apple Tart". Its amazing to watch the people shop and see the vendors do there selling. It's one of the things I enjoy most about living in Algeria.
I've been brainstorming on what desserts I'm going to make for Eid this year. Hubby has had a change of heart and decided to stay in the capital instead of going to Tlemcen. I'm kinda happy about that because by the end of Ramadan my energy has depleted. Just can't imagine hitting the road for eight hours, arriving, and making a mad dash to get the house clean for the "Big Day".
I'm also on a quest to learn to make my own cottage cheese My best friend " Henia" made me jealous today because she has finally managed to do it. I don't know how its going to turn out. Will it be success or poison....if I don't repost you will surely have the answer. I've also discovered powdered milk and it's many benefits......"Wonderful and Endless Options" With the price of food hitting the roof and the budget getting higher. I'm glad there is hope out there for those of us living on a limited income.
Well enough of my rambling on. Wish me luck tommorow and here is my recipe for " Apple Tart"
 



"Apple Tart"


For the crust:
  • 250 grams flour
  • 125 grams butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • pinch of salt
  • water
For the filling:
  • 6 large apples ( sliced)
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 to 3 tbsp butter
Make your crust and place in the fridge for about 1 Hour. Roll out and place in a pie or tart dish. Add your filling and place dots of butter all over your apples. Bake in the oven on 180 until done.
 

3 comments:

://: Heni ://: said...

Ingenius way to decorate the pie, using the starfish cutouts ... very coolbeans sis!

Anonymous said...

Asalamualaikum,Beautiful!You have great fresh cinnamon in Algeria.perfect for apple pie.Now it is the end of blackberry season here.Do you miss or like cobbler? Sarah

Crazy Texan said...

I LOVE COBBLER!!! I actuall do it in the summer for the kids at coffee time. I add some vanilla ice cream to boot :) Thx henia..you know how I be decorating now lol