Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ramadan Day 19 - Eggplant Casserole


Now that Ramadan is coming to an end soon...The days we have fasted more than the days left. I decided to make this wonderful casserole. I got this recipe from my bff ( henia) and been making it for my family ever since. I love this recipe because you can make it in advance and just stick it in the oven an hour before your ready to eat. I have also made this and put it in the freezer for a rainy day. It even came out better..Woot!! 

"Eggplant Casserole"
  • 2 to 3 eggplant ( peeled, sliced and salted 30 min before cooking)
  • 1/2 kilo ground beef
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 tbsp. tomato concentrate
  • 3 to 4 potatoes ( cut, diced,seasoned and fried in oil)
  • sauce berchamel ( a.k.a white gravy)
  • shredded cheese of choice
  • salt, pepper 
White Gravy Recipe:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 2 tbsp. oil
  • salt, pepper
In a saucepan, brown your onion, ground beef, and garlic. Set aside and fry your potatoes(you could substitute this for mashed) Then rinse your eggplant and fry and place on a paper towel. Then in a casserole dish: add potatoes, then cheese, eggplant, cheese, beef filling, and top with white gravy sauce. then add more cheese for topping. Bake in oven until golden brown and cheese is melted. This is a hearty meal and serve 6 to 8 plp.
For your white gravy: in a saucepan add your oil and flour. Make a rue and slowly add your milk until you get a thick gravy..season


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asalamualaikum,I used to make this casarole last year during ramadhan in Tunisia.It is great at room temp.I have found your blog and your friend[heni]on the same day and i check you everyday for recipe ideas.I am a southern girl also married to an Algerian.I come there alot and my Husband travels there almost monthly.If there is anything you would like to have from back home do not hesitate,It would be my pleasure.Sarah

://: Heni ://: said...

LOL Mooussaka the crazy Texan way ... love it!

://: Heni ://: said...

LOL Mooussaka the crazy Texan way ... love it!

HereendAfter said...

I tried your recipe the other day and we all really enjoyed it! I used to see recipes for moussaka but without potatoes so that's why your recipe seemed more interesting to me! The only changes I made I added bay leaf and, 1 Tbsp of vinegar and 1 can of chopped tomatoes while frying the meat. Next time I am going to parboil the potatoes instead of frying them and see how it comes. Thanks a lot Sis for sharing with us! :)