Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ramadan day 20- Berkoukes " An Algerian Tradition"


What is it about berkoukes that sends my kids running? Could it be that I craved it in all my pregnancies. I have to confess that I love this soup so much that I actually learned how to make my own. It requires some patience to learn how to roll the semolina and get them all the same size. But well worth it if you eat it often :) 
Berkoukes is an Algerian specialty. It is made in the same matter as cous cous. Except the finished grains are much larger. I learned to make berkoukes from a lovely Berber lady in Bejaja. How the memories come flooding into my mind as I remember my the wonderful times I spent there.
My recipe is a little different though. I don't let all the vegetables in the soup. Instead I blitz them just like you would do harira and then add the berkoukes. I prefer it this way and really the ways to cook this are endless. You can also add a meat of your choice. As for making your berkoukes...........there is really no way for me to explain it to you. Perhaps that can be a "Youtube" aspiration :)
"Lynda's Berkoukes"
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 tbsp tomato purée
  • 1 medium courgette (zucchini), diced
  • 1 medium potato, diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp dried mint, crumbled
  • fresh or dried coriander
  • salt , pepper
  • 450g berkoukes 
 Add 2l water to a pan, bring to a boil then add the salt. Add all the remaining ingredients (except the berkoukes) to the pan and return to a boil. Reduce to a brisk simmer, cover and cook over medium heat for until vegetables are tender. Blitz your soup and then add the berkoukes. Cook until done and soup has thickened slightly.

I would suggest that you put your berkoukes in water and let sit while you veggies are cooking. It makes the process so much more easier. Good luck!!

3 comments:

://: Heni ://: said...

Esalaams,

This sounds different then the berkoukes my in-laws made me before last year LOL! Better... it sounds much like what they call bouillon. Which they give to women who just had babies LOL! So I will excepting my bowl real soon sis!

Sarah the curry addict said...

I have heard about berkoukes a lot, but never actually had it! (I have an Algerian husband too) I think my MIL thinks it is too boring to make when I'm there. It looks really good. I guess it tastes like couscous but the different grain size makes it a different experience I'm sure.

Crazy Texan said...

If your husband comes here sarah..glad to give him some and you can cook it for your family..xxxx