Friday, September 11, 2009

Ramadan Day 21 - Filet De Dide (Hank Williams Syle )

Let me set the scene for you here:  Hank Williams on my MP3 player, my lucky bandanna I've had since Randy Travis threw it at a concert and I caught it and a Kabyle dress. Add a little two-step around the kitchen and that's me making my filet this afternoon. Hubby thought it was hilarious and all my kids were looking for something to put on there heads. I didn't get that "Crazy Texan" reputation for nothing :) The day was just "Peachy"! 
I have to confess the butcher's are getting light on there feet. Not much of a meat choice and I'm not one to buy those pre-maid filets. Just don't know how fresh a meat your getting. So I just decided to do one myself :) It turned out successfully and I got quite a few sugar-daddy kisses for this baby. You' ll have to forgive me for a picture problem I have on this recipe. For some reason my camera didn't keep the photo I took after it was cooked :( I do have the photo I took after I assembled and I know you all are spectacular cooks and can swing the rest. Grilling is a cinch !!!



"Filet De Dinde"
  • 4 to 5 turkey breast slices
  • 250 grams ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1 small onion
  • salt, pepper, cumin, and red pepper
  • some assorted veggies to put in your roasting pan
The assembly is a little tricky but not to bad. You make to long strings ( Horizontal) Then you need about 4 to 6 strings placed ( vertically ) Now place your turkey breasts over the strings and season. In a bowl, add your ground beef, grated onion, spices, and one egg. Mix well and make a log in the middle of the turkey breasts. Now fold over your breast to cover the meat. Be careful not to move the string. Now tighten and tie. Be sure to season everything well and then place on your roasting pan. In your roasting pan put some butter, a sliced tomato. onion, bay leaf, potato, carrot ect. You can run wild with this part and cook to your family's taste. Roast until done....about 1 1/2 hours...serves 4 to 6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asalamualaikum,Dinde,seems to have gotten very popular in Algeria the last few years.A niece of mine likes to stuff hers with cheese the fry.I do not know why this post of yours today made me think of deer meat and rabbit.Do you eat either?I know that rabbit is available there.I have eaten a pigeon or two when i lived in Egypt.But not real fond of it.So any recipes for Rabbit? Sarah

Crazy Texan said...

I make my hubby rabbit every coons age :) The tip for mine is I let it marinate in apple juice. talk about a tender meat. Give it a try!! Also, try it on your deer meat and add vineger with it. The deer meat is less tough and eatable...:)

Anonymous said...

I will try Apple juice inshaAllah.Maybe some apple cider.It's that time of year here.Well almost.Oh,PLEASE do not forget to post pictures of your EID deserts and such.For me its off to the bakery i go.LOL. SARAH