Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ramadan Day 22 - Calzones Anyone!!

Woot!! pizza crust no longer eludes me! We've been at war for years and now I've finally won. I now have a no fail pizza crust recipe that anyone can make. With Eid getting closer and my journey to make the desserts will begin. My table is getting lighter so I have time. I finally decided what I'm going to make and I'll be posting each recipe for anyone who needs some inspiration. But, for now here is the recipe for these delicious little suckers. Enjoy!
 
"Calzone's "

For your pizza crust:
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp bread yeast
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 cup oil
In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Mix it up with a fork or spoon. Add the oil and warm water. Now dig in with your hands and knead until you form a dough. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes - then knead again and roll into small balls. let rest again for about 5 minutes and your ready to use.

For the filling:
  • 300 grams of ground beef
  • 1 or 2 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup olives chopped
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 1 tomato finely chopped
  • salt, pepper, red pepper
  • cubed cheese of choice ( I use Cheddar and Berber cheese)
Cook all of the above except cheese in a pan. Let cool and roll out your pizza dough to your desired size. Place filling and add cheese. Fold over, pinch and coat with egg yolk. Bake until golden brown..makes 20 calzones

* For those of you who are curious and wondering what is next to the calzones. Those are mini- quiches. I will post on a later date. Good luck!!*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asalamualaikum,Ok,i will trust you and try this dough.I can never and i mean NEVER get any kind of bread dough rite.I always kneed it to much or to little.I can however make kisra.That's not saying much because my nine year old can as well.Sarah

Crazy Texan said...

Trick for this pizza crust is the yeast. I know how you feel because it is the same for me. But this recipe hasnt failed me yet. If you get a nice yeast you should be fine and knead 2 mins and let 20. Also be sure your yeast is good. Put it in the warm water and let it foam..if it does that your good to go. Good luck

://: Heni ://: said...

Sounds like easy enough dough ... I will try this out tomorrow ... love less and less steps!

Ines said...

I'm sold...i'll try it too, better be idiot proof though ;)

Anonymous said...

Asalamualaikum,EID MUBARAK !!! Hope you and yours have had a great Eid. Sarah