Monday, October 5, 2009

Roasted Green and Red Pepper Salad

Some of my fondest memories have to be of the three years I lived in Bejaja. I was received with open arms and accepted into there culture. There was no racial barriers or fear of rejection. Just a pure love of life and tradition. Sometimes, when I put on my traditional Kablye dress I can almost feel the air on my face and  see " Khalti Haja" on her balcony making her morning bread and calling me to come turn her green peppers so they don't burn. I got just that feeling this morning when I went to the market and decided to make " Khalti Haja's traditional pepper salad"
This traditional family recipe reaches back many generations and "Khalti haja" was proud to pass it on to me.  She would always tell me how she would prepare it with her mother and grandmother .  Then they would climb the steep hill to visit " Yemma Gouraya "  and enjoy an afternoon picnic. I also had the wonderful experience to climb to the top of Gouraya. Moaning and complaining I would die in the process but once I reached  the summit the breathtaking view was worth all its effort.I hope this recipe will bring joy into your kitchen and home. Perhaps as you grill the peppers and the sweet aroma fills the air. You can just for a moment feel the love of Bejaja, Algeria and the Kabyle people.

 

" Khalti Haja's Roasted green and red pepper salad "
  • 2 green peppers ( roasted and peeled)
  • 2 red peppers ( roasted and peeled)
  • 1 fresh tomato grated
  • olive oil
  • vingegar
  • salt to taste
Roasting peppers are't tricky at all. All you need is old non stick pan and put it on the burner. Place the peppers on the dry pan and cook on the heat until they blister. Place in a plastic bad and let them sweat. then the skin should just peel away. please take not I mentioned an old nonstick pan. Once you use it, the pan will strictly be for grilling peppers. You could also do it in the oven but I prefer this method. After you peel your peppers, dice and place in a bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, grated tomato, and salt. Mix up and serve with your favorite bread. Enjoy!!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum,Now i love pepper salad.When i saw the vinegar in your recipe.It reminds me of the Egyptian way of frying the peppers in a little oil then you take them out.And in the same pan add a little garlic and vinegar.Then that is added to the pepper on the plate.I will try this inshaAllah.I think vinegar works best in salads. SARAH

Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

very nice!

://: Heni ://: said...

I have been trying to comment on here for 3 days now wats up Lynda? LOL!

I remember that high steep mountain, my legs remember it too! I never showed you the pix from our summer holiday did I sis? Hugs!

Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

mashaAllah i use vinegar too in my pepper salad ..........i love it with pungent olive oil.