Monday, November 2, 2009

The wonders of Powdered Milk


I  finally got my blues in gear and with much soul searching and prayer. I'm back to my cheery ol self. 
I also have to confess that if I was living in U.S.AThis blog would'nt exist and I would just simply walk by the powdered milk section in the supermarket, like I always used toAmazing how life takes you on a journey you never would expect. Twists and turns, an occassional tornado and God forbid it never happens " A RECTOR 10 EARTHQUAKE"
I know some of you can sympathize with me when you get homesick for those meals you grew up on. Just a little feeling of home away from home. That is what this blog is really about for me. To offer others a little taste of my insane kitchen and just perhaps make there tummies a little happier.
So many times I have found a recipe and it requires evaporated or condensed milk. You can get sweetened condensed milk in Algeria but at almost 200 dinars a can. It can get quite costly. I have yet to even find a can of evaporated milk in my 12 years of living here. So, for many years I put those recipes aside until one day while surfing the net I decided to look up making it for myself.
Now a smarter and more frugal cook. I don't need to put aside recipes that require these ingredients.  I always keep a box of nestle powdered milk on hand and I don't have to feel guilty about putting a dent in the pocket book.

Evaporated Milk
To make evaporated skim milk you only need dry milk powder and water. Measure 1-1/3 cups water into a jar or bowl. Add 1 cup of instant dry milk powder. Stir or shake to combine. This is the equivalent of a 12-ounce can of evaporated milk.

Sour Milk
To sour reconstituted milk, just add a little vinegar to it, and stir it up. For instance, if a recipe calls for 1-cup of sour milk or buttermilk, then measure a tablespoon of vinegar into a measuring cup. Add reconstituted milk to reach the 1-cup mark. Stir the milk gently. In a moment or two, it will sour. This can replace soured milk or buttermilk in baking recipes.

Sweetened Condensed Milk: 
On the stove, bring to a boil 1/2-cup of water, 1-cup of sugar and 3-tablespoons of margarine or shortening (butter flavored shortening is good). Add a dash of salt. Stir the mixture every now and then. When it comes to a full rolling boil, remove it from the heat. Allow it to cool slightly. Add a cup of instant dry milk powder. Use a whisk to stir it smooth. A fork or a spoon will not get the mixture smooth, you really need a whisk, or egg beaters. There, you are done. This is the equivalent of a can of sweetened condensed milk. This will keep unrefrigerated for a day or two because of the sugar. I have never kept it longer than that without refrigeration. In the fridge it will keep for 2 weeks. For longer storage than that, I freeze it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good evening everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for that meticulous model. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are about 250 pounds on every site. But definitively I set this location selling them for half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging for that meticulous make. The prices as regards the shoes are approximately 330 bucks on every site. But completely I found this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good evening bros. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching allowing for regarding that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the velcros are around 170 bucks on every site. But definitively I base this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what can you say about it?