Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Minty Chocolate Delight!!

Howdy to all my blogosphere family!! I know I have been out of touch these days. But, I'm feeling better, more motivated and ready for the New year. Christmas season is rolling around and I have been thinking of my Christian friends who are preparing sweets for the holidays. Growing up Christmas was always a big affair in my family. Gram would put up the biggest tree possible and gifts would fill up half of the room. The family would come from all over and the fun would begin. Since I converted to Islam I don't celebrate Christmas day but transferred all that family tradition into " One Big New Year's Eve" bang!!!
I was laying in my bed the other day thinking about those girl scout cookies called " Mint Thins". They are my favorite cookie and I crave them from time to time. Wondering around the supermarket I was looking at those flavored syrups you use for water. I seen "Menthe" flavor and a light went off. I could substitute this for peppermint extract perhaps. So searching over the net and finding many a recipe. I have managed to create a Minty Choco cookie that will make any chocolate lover " Scream with delight"
I know that for some of you out there.This cookie will seem a little time consuming. But if your looking for something that is different and special. This is the cookie for you!
Also, I know some of you mentioned better pics. I'm working on that and hope to be able to use my hubby's camera soon. See all of you soon and keep a look out for more posts. i'll be posting up some more great holiday recipes for those of you who need a little inspiration this year. xxxx




Lynda's Mint Cookies w/ White chocolate filling

  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup milk (any kind)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. With the mixer on low speed, add in the milk and the extracts. Mixture will look curdled. Gradually, add in the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
Shape dough into two logs, about 1 1/2 inches (or about 4 cm) in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1-2 hours, until dough is very firm.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Slice dough into rounds not more than 1/4 inch thick - if they are too thick, they will not be as crisp - and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cookies will not spread very much, so you can put them quite close together.
Bake for 13-15 minutes, until cookies are firm at the edges. Cool cookies completely on a wire rack before assembly. After cookie have cooled. Add a dot of hazelnut nutella in the center of the cookie and make like a "Oreo" or sandwich cookie.



Dark Chocolate Coating
10-oz dark or semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter, room temperature

 In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate and butter. Melt on high power in the microwave, stirring every 45-60 seconds, until chocolate is smooth. Chocolate should have a consistency somewhere between chocolate syrup and fudge for a thin coating.
Dip each cookie in melted chocolate, turn with a fork to coat, then transfer to a piece of parchment paper or wax paper to set up for at least 30 minutes, or until chocolate is cool and firm.
Reheat chocolate as needed to keep it smooth and easy to dip into.

Good luck!!!!

5 comments:

Ines said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg and that is not screaming with delight but with frustration cause i want one now!!!!
they look delish, take care sis xxx

://: Heni ://: said...

Esalaams sis,

Sounds great sis these cookies ... you be sure to save me a few to taste! Glad you posting again! =)

strangerinthisdunya said...

Salam Lynda... these sound absolutely fantastic! I love chocolate and mint together! Yumm! Nicola x

://: Heni ://: said...

Esalaams sis, nice changes to the blog ... glad to see you blogging again! Love ya!

Ms M said...

They look great, thank you.

Re. photography, when you get the camera you mentioned use a macro setting if you've got it and good light is important ;)