Friday, March 5, 2010

Chimichanga Delight!!!

What is the perfect sin for me? Chimichangas baby.....Oh LA LA!! I have been wanting to try this Mexican classic for sometime. Today the fat lady sang and I was able to give it a try. I did quite allot of Internet searching for this recipe. The only thing about this classic that put me off was .....its deep fried!!! So by chance I happened to find a video from About.com.  It has a pretty basic chimichanga recipe that anyone can do at home.

But for us ladies who are living in Algeria. It's not just as simple to go to the supermarket and buy the ingredients. Tortillas being the first thing on the list. When I first came to Algeria, tortillas was the first thing that I missed. So I have been making mine homemade for sometime. I could use a little work on my shaping but other than that it's perfect.


The photo above is the ones I made just this morning. You can see what I mean about shape work ....lol But this recipe is fool proof.  Anyone can do it!!

Basic Tortilla Recipe
  • 3 cups flour
  • 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp. yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • pinch salt
In a bowl add your flour, oil, and pinch of salt . Let your yeast proof in the cup of warm water and when its foamy. Add to the flour and knead until you get a dough. Now let the dough rise for about an hour. Anything less and you will not achieve a good tortilla. After it has risen, roll into balls. The on your oven place an old non stick pan and allow to heat up. You need to do this step dry! Do not add oil to the pan. Roll out your tortilla and place in the pan. When you get light brown specks . Flip over, cook, remove from pan and  place on a plate. Continue cooking until you have finished all your dough. This recipe should make about 8 to 10 tortillas.





So now that we have our tortillas....dive in Baby!! For the filling I complicated things a bit.  I like mine loaded and with no beef. Chicken is my preference or should I say hubby has a chicken thing..lol I must please the masses so here it what I used for the filling.

Filling:
  • 1 whole chicken cut up
  • 1 onion
  • 1 bunch of coriander (chopped)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • red pepper, black pepper, salt and cumin
  • 2 grilled green peppers ( peeled )
  • 3 cups grated cheddar
  • 1 tbsp. sour cream
In a cooker or pan (I used a cooker) Place the chicken, chopped onion, coriander and spices. Cook until done and remove from pan. De-bone your chicken and reduce the liquid until its practically evaporated.  Place the chicken and  grilled peppers in a food processor. Chop everything up and place in a bowl. Add cheese and sour cream and fill your tortillas .

Now simply follow the video instructions! Fry lightly then bake in the oven for 15 mins until crunchy. I served mine with homemade salsa and sour cream. I will post my salsa recipe on a later date promise! The options are endless really. You could even serve with it some mexican rice on the side....YUM!!

2 comments:

jennifer said...

salaams sis! i love corn tortillas so much! do you ever make them? do you buy or make your cheddar and sour cream?

://: Heni ://: said...

Esalaam,

Your enchilladas look great! Wink wink make this for me! LOl!

Jennifer, you can buy cheddar around alger as Lynda showed me. And sub creme fraiche in the tub or fromage frais for sour cream!