Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Homestyle....Magrib Style....Is there any other way?


Maghrib I promised and here is a fish melange your sure to love. As I have mentioned in many posts my hubbies family is from Tlemcen. Situated very close to the Moroccan border. Anyone wishing to experience good maghrib cooking in Algeria. This is the place to go! I lived the first seven years of my marriage in Tlemcen and was given a crash course in maghrib cooking....FAST!!

During my first pregnancy, I got this craving for fish. I have no clue where it came from since I never really was a fish person growing up. My mother-in-law quickly prompted my husband to take me to Ghazaouet a port town about an hours drive from Nedroma. Apon arriving there my husband took us to this little pecherie just on the port for fish. I can still remember the smell and crates of fresh fish being cleaned for hungry paying customers. 

Soon after the birth of my daughter I begged my hubby to take me again. Wanting to really appreciate what I was eating and perhaps get a introduction to the chef that cooked these lovely fish platters. God answered my prayers and with a great pleasure a short Moroccan man showed me the ropes. I was quite surprised at how simple it all really was. I also signed my life on the dotted line to never share who he was and to continue to keep coming in the future.


    
Fresh calamari, crevettes and anchovies from the market

  • Fresh fish of your choice......I used the above but you can used the same method with sardines and melon
  • 2 bunches of fresh cialtro
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • red pepper, cumin, salt, black pepper
  • 1/2 kilo of flour / 2 cups of bread crumbs for calamri
  • vegetable oil for frying
Take the fish and place in bowls as I have done above. Add some vegetables oil, spices and chopped up coriander. Allow the fish to marinate for at least 1 hour to absorb all the spices. Then in a seperate bowl put some flour and roll the fish to coat well and fry. Its as simple as that! For your calamari, roll those on bread crumbs and keep in mind that it gets tough fast. 1 to 2 minutes and anything over that it has to be cooked in water for an hour to become tender again.












 Here is the finished result! Your own homemade maghrib style fish you can make without going the distance to get it. It's just that easy!
                         Enjoy!!!!!!!!



1 comment:

://: Heni ://: said...

Soooo where is mine? lol ;;;looks tasty sis!