Saturday, June 19, 2010

An Algerian twist to a Sounthern Classic...

With ramadan creeping up on us. I have started to put a menu plan together for my family. I could post mine but what my family likes might not work for you. So, I decided to post recipes before the blessed month comes. To try to give you some ideas this year. I'm going to rotate my posts to cover a wide variety of things. Posts on main meals, dessets, salads, soups and appetizers.

I have always loved southern fried chicken but had very little success with making my own. It always tasted better somewhere else. Finally frustrated and wanting some fried chicken. I turned to internet to help me on my quest. I ended up on a Food network video and I owe this women for my success. Her step by step instructions were fabulous and it finally made clear the process for me.


After trying my first batch with success. I then looked to add my own little twist to the recipe. Something that would appeal to my hubby's algerian ways. It worked and he now requests this recipe often. Plus, what a ramadan delight. Its not that hard to make and you can fry ahead of time and warm in the oven closer to the breaking of tha fast. Paired with some wonderful salads and some french fries. Where can you go wrong. I apolgize for my picture taking again but I'm working on that. I cooked mine darker than you would normally...stems from a past expierience. 



 Algerian Style Fried Chicken
  • I chicken cut up ( salted and left to rest for 2 hours)
  • I bunch of coriander
  • 3 to 4 containers of natural yougurt or 1 lg container
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • red pepper, black pepper, and cumin
  • flour to coat pieces 
Place chicken in container, add spices and yougurt and marinate overnight. When ready to cook. remove chicken pieces, flour and fry.
 I would also like to thank Maria for sharing this lovely recipe.....xxxx


Below is the video in which I took the recipe...enjoy!





3 comments:

uk4dz said...

Ah.. just the video I need also! The kids like fried chicken but I haven't got it quite right yet! Your's looks so good!

Emma said...

I made this yesterday using your version and it came out wonderful and so crispy! thanks for sharing! xx

://: Heni ://: said...

Add some harissa for me sis!